Dr. Christopher Ochner is a nutrition, obesity and diet expert, often appearing in the media:
ONLINE / PRINT
- The Atlantic 7-?-14 Section on Dr. Ochner’s Research
- Huffington Post 7-25-14 Story about Unhealthy Fad Diets
- Fox News 7-24-14 Story about Unhealthy Diets
- ABC News 7-18-14 Story about Fad Diets
- Refinery29 7-15-14 Comments on Splurging when on a Diet
- US News & World Report 6-5-14 Comment on H. Pylori and Obesity
- Medscape 6-5-14 Comment on Obesity Surgery vs. Lifestyle Diet for Diabetes
- The Washington Post 5-28-14 Comment on School Lunch Program Legislature
- Weather.com 5-28-14 Comment on Genetically Modified Foods
- Bazaar 5-28-14 Comment on Coconut Oil for Weight Loss
- Shape.com 5-7-14 Comment on Health of Tofu
- Shape.com 4-24-14 Comment on Effects of Labeling Obesity as a Disease
- Shape.com 4-21-13 Comment on Caffeine and Anxiety
- Shape.com 3-21-14 Comment on Sprouting Garlic
- USA Today 3-19-14 Comment on Study of how Genes interact w/Fried Food
- CBSNews.com 3-18-14 Comment on Study on Health of Saturated Fat
- CBSNews.com 3-17-14 Comment on Ice Cream Cleanse
- CBSNews.com 2-27-14 Comment on New Nutrition Labels
- Healthline News 2-27-14 Comment on New Nutrition Labels
- FoxNews.com 2-20-14 Comment on Multivitamins
- CBSNews.com 2-18-14 Comment on New Rocco DiSpirito Diet
- HealthlineNews 2-8-14 Comment on Predictors of Childhood Obesity
- FoxNews.com 1-31-14 Weight Gain when Watching Football
- US News & World Report 1-24-14 Comment on Spousal Diabetes Increasing Risk
- Women’s Health 1-24-14 Comment in Bulletproof Coffee
- Livestrong.com 1-17-14 What’s Really in those Chicken McNuggets?
- CBSNews.com 1-16-14 Diet Soda and Body Weight
- Women’s Health 1-10-14 Comment in Butter vs. Margarine
- Shape.com 12-31-13 Fitness Tips
- Everyday Health 12-27-13 How to Stick to New Year’s Resolutions
- Weather.com 12-2-13 Safety of Genetically Modified Organisms in Food
- Shape.com 11-28-13 Dietary Cleanses
- New York Times 9-30-13 Comment on Bloomberg admin’s Girl’s Project
- Wall Street Journal 9-30-13 Comment on Bloomberg admin’s Girl’s Project
- WebMD 9-13-13 Green Tea and Health
- Good Morning America 8-20-13 Obesity may be More than One Disease
- Livestrong.com 8-16-13 What’s Really in those French Fries?
- FoxNews.com 8-7-13 Soda and Health
- Newsday 8-2-13 Fasting for Ramadan and Health
- Everyday Health 6-19-13 Obesity Declared a Disease by the AMA
- Shape 5-15-13 Lead and Arsenic in Rice
- Shape 4-16-13 Phthalates in Food and Health
- Everyday Health 4-8-13 Updated School Lunch Regulations
- Shape 3-12-13 New York City Soda Ban
- Examiner 1-12-13 Tips from The Alzheimer’s Diet
1998 BA, University of Virginia, Psychology
2000 MA, American University, Psychology (social & personality focus)
2003 MS, Drexel University, Clinical Psychology (obesity research focus)
2006 PhD, Drexel University, Clinical Psychology (obesity research focus)
2011 MS, Columbia University, Biostatistics (patient oriented research focus)
Published Peer Reviewed Articles
- Ochner CN, Lowe MR. Self-Reported Changes in Dietary Calcium and Energy Intake Predict Weight Regain following a Weight Loss Diet in Obese Women. Journal of Nutrition 2007;137:2324-2328.
- Ochner CN, Geliebter A. Binge Eating Disorder. Obesity Management 2007;3(4):161-64.
- Lowe M, Tappe K, Annunziato R, Riddell L, Coletta M, Crerand C, Didie L, Ochner CN, McKinney S. The effect of training in reduced energy density eating and food self-monitoring accuracy on weight loss maintenance: A randomized controlled trial. Obesity 2008;16:2016-2023.
- Geliebter A, Ochner CN, Aviram R. Appetite-Related Gut Peptides in Obesity and Binge Eating Disorder. American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine 2008;2:305-314.
- Ochner CN, Green D, van Steenburgh J, Kounios J, Lowe M. Asymmetric Prefrontal Cortex Activation in Relation to Markers of Overeating in Obese Humans. Appetite 2009;53:44-49.
- Lowe MR, Butryn ML, Didie ER, Annunziato RA, Thomas GJ, Crerand CE, Ochner CN, Coletta MC, Bellace D, Wallaert M, Halford J. The Power of Food Scale: A New Measure of the Psychological Influence of the Food Environment. Appetite 2009;53:114-18.
- Ochner CN, Gray JA, Brickner K. The development and initial validation of a new measure of male body dissatisfaction. Eating Behaviors 2009;10:197-201.
- Lowe MR, van Steenburgh J, Ochner CN, Coletta M. Neural correlates of individual differences related to appetite. Physiology and Behavior. 2009;5:561-571.
- Ochner CN, Puma L, Raevuori A, Teixeira J, Geliebter A. Effectiveness of a prebariatric surgery insurance-required weight loss regimen and relation to postsurgical weight loss. Obesity. 2010;18:287-92.
- Lowe M, Tappe K, Butryn M, Annunziato RA, Coletta MC, Ochner CN, Rolls B. An Intervention Study Targeting Nutritional Intake in Worksite Cafeterias. Eating Behaviors 2010;11:144-151.
- Gibson C, Carnell S, Ochner CN, Geliebter A. Neuroimaging, gut peptides and obesity: novel studies of the neurobiology of appetite. Journal of Neuroendocrinology 2010;22:833-45.
- Ochner CN, Gibson C, Carnell S, Dambkowski C, Geliebter A. Alterations in the Neurohormonal Regulation of Energy Intake through Bariatric Surgery for Obesity. Physiology & Behavior 2010;100:549-59.
- Ochner CN, Kwok Y, Conceição E, Pantazatos SP, Puma LM, Carnell S, Teixeira J, Hirsch J, Geliebter A. Selective Reduction of Neural Responses to High Calorie Foods Following Gastric Bypass Surgery. Annals of Surgery 2011; 253:502-507.
- Isaacson RS, Safdieh J, Ochner CN. Effectiveness of Continuum as a teaching tool for medical students. Neurology 2011;76:125-30.
- Stice E, Rohde P, Gau JM, Ochner CN. Relation of Depression to Perceived Social Support: Results from a Randomized Depression Prevention Trial. Behaviour Research and Therapy 2011;49:361-366.
- Ochner CN, Gibson C, Shanik M, Goel V, Geliebter A. Changes in neurohormonal gut peptides following bariatric surgery. International Journal of Obesity 2011;35:153–66.
- Carnell S, Gibson C, Benson L, Ochner CN, Geliebter A. Neuroimaging, appetite and obesity: current knowledge and future directions. Obesity Reviews 2012;13:43-56.
- Ochner CN, Stice E, Hutchins E, Afifi L, Geliebter A, Hirsch J, Teixeira J. Relation between changes in neural responsivity and reductions in desire to eat high-calorie foods following gastric bypass surgery. Neuroscience 2012;209:128-35.
- Ochner CN, Dambkowski C, Yeomans B, Teixeira J, Pi-Sunyer FX. Pre bariatric weight loss requirements and the effect of preoperative weight loss on postoperative outcome. International Journal of Obesity. 2012;36:1380-7.
- Ochner CN, Laferrère B, Afifi L, Atalayer D, Geliebter A, Teixeira J. Neural Responsivity to Food Cues in Fasted and Fed States Pre and Post Gastric Bypass Surgery. Neuroscience Research. 2012;74:138-43.
- Ochner CN, Jochner M, Caruso E, Teixeira J, Pi-Sunyer FX. Effect of preoperative body mass index on weight loss following obesity surgery. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases. 2013;9:423-7.
- Geliebter A, Bernales-Korins M, Hernandez D, Ochner CN, Ang, YH, Ungredda T, Miller R, Cole B, Kolb L. Supermarket discounts of low-energy foods: Effects on purchasing, food intake, and body weight. Obesity. 2013:21;E542-8.
- Ochner CN, Texiera J, Geary N, Asarian L. Greater Short-Term Weight Loss in Women 20-45 versus 55-65 Years of Age Following Bariatric Surgery. Obesity Surgery. 2013;23:1650-4.
- Ochner CN, Barrios D, Lee C, Pi-Sunyer FX. Biological Mechanisms that Contribute to Weight Regain following Weight Loss Diet in Obese Humans. Physiology & Behavior. 2013;120:106-113.
- Ochner CN. Asymmetric Brain Activation and its Relationship with Overeating: Insight into the Brain’s Control of Hunger and Eating. New York, NY: VDM Verlag, 2008.
- Isaacson RS, Ochner CN. The Alzheimer’s Diet: A Step-by-Step Nutritional Approach for Memory Loss Prevention and Treatment. New York, NY: AD Education Consultants, 2012.
Published Book Chapters
- Ochner CN. Calcium and dairy products. In: Keller K, ed. The Encyclopedia of Obesity. New York, NY: Golson Books, 2008:104-106.
- Ochner CN, Geliebter A. Binge eating disorder. In: Keller K, ed. The Encyclopedia of Obesity. New York, NY: Golson Books, 2008:81-84.
- Ochner CN. Dieting myths. In: Keller K, ed. The Encyclopedia of Obesity. New York, NY: Golson Books, 2008:187-189.
- Ochner CN, Geliebter A, Conceicao E. Causal and Maintenance Factors in Binge Eating Disorder. In Columbus F, ed. Binge Eating: Psychological Factors, Symptoms, and Treatment. New York, NY: Nova Science Publishers, 2009: 87-93.
- Ochner CN, Conceicao E, Gorlova O. The Validity of Nutritional Assessment: Current Status. In Ellsworth SJ, Schuster RC, ed. Appetite and Nutritional Assessment. New York, NY: Nova Science Publishers, 2009:189-196.
- Puma L, Ochner CN, Geliebter A. The Psychology of Obesity. In Tsichlia G, Johnstone A, ed. Fat Matters: From sociology to science. Aberdeen, UK: M&K, 2010:115-128.
- Stice E., Shaw H., and Ochner CN. Eating Disorders. In: B. Bradford Brown and Mitchell J. Prinstein, editors. Encyclopedia of Adolescence, Vol. 3. San Diego: Academic Press; 2011. pp. 151-159.
- Atalayer D, Ochner CN. Causal Factors, Diagnostic Criteria and Treatment of Binge Eating Disorder. In Columbus F, ed. Binge Eating: Psychological Factors, Symptoms, and Treatment. New York, NY: Nova Science Publishers. In press.
Selected Published Peer Reviewed Abstracts (of 44 published abstracts)
- Butryn M, Didie E, Annunziato R, Ochner CN, Coletta M, Lowe M. The Power of Food Scale: Reliability, validity and factor structure. Obesity 2004;12:A79.
- Ochner CN, Lowe M. Dietary Calcium in relation to body weight. International Journal of Obesity2004;28:S143.
- Ochner CN, Lowe MR. Opposing effects of calcium intake and caloric intake on weight regain after diet. Proceedings from the International Congress on Eating Disorders 2005;37.
- Ochner CN, Gray J, Diana G. The Male Body Dissatisfaction Scale: Development and Validation of a New Measure of Body Dissatisfaction in Men. Obesity 2005;15:A174.
- Ochner CN, Lowe M. Relationship between Macronutrient Intake and Weight Regain Following a Weight Loss Diet. Obesity 2005;15:A198.
- Green D, van Steenburgh J, Ochner CN, Lowe M, Kounios J. Measures of appetitive responsiveness predict left-to-right prefrontal asymmetrical activation in obese individuals using EEG: Implications for hedonically-based eating. Obesity 2006;14:A7.
- Ochner CN, Bauer C, Hashim S, Geliebter A. Metabolic risk factors in obese participants: A randomized trial of strength or aerobic training combined with dieting versus dieting alone. Obesity 2007;15:A214.
- Ochner CN, Puma L, Kujac H, Bauer C, Teixeira J, Geliebter A. Weight change prior to bariatric surgery predicts weight loss outcome following surgery. Obesity 2007;15:A202.
- Ochner CN, Lowe MR, Kounios J, Green D, van Steenburgh J. Binge eating, appetitive responsiveness, and disinhibition in relation to activation in the human brain. Appetite 2007; 49:317.
- Ochner CN, Green D, van Steenburgh J, Kounios J, Lowe M. Asymmetric Prefrontal Cortex Activation in Relation to Markers of Overeating in Obese Humans. Proceedings from the International Congress on Eating Disorders 2007;42.
- Ochner CN, Geliebter A, Bauer CL, Hashim SA. Effects of strength and aerobic training on metabolic syndrome, insulin, and testosterone levels in dieting obese subjects. Appetite 2007;49:318.
- Ochner CN, Bernales-Korins M, Ungredda T, Zaravinos J, Teagarden S, Granos A, Allen S, Geliebter A. Environmental Intervention for Overweight Individuals via Price Reduction of Healthy Foods in a Community Supermarket. Obesity 2008;16:S242.
- Puma L, Ochner CN, Ungredda T, Teixeira J, Geliebter A. Comparison of Insurance-Required Pre Obesity Surgery Weight Loss Regimens: Primary Care Physician Supervised vs. Structured Weight Loss Regimens. Obesity 2008;16:S297.
- Lowe M, Tappe K, Butryn M, Annunziato R, Coletta M, Ochner CN. Evaluation of a Weight Gain Prevention Program in Workplace Cafeterias. Obesity 2008;16:S226.
- Ochner CN, Pantazatos S, Conseicao E, Puma L, Kwok Y, Carnell S, Teixeira J, Geliebter A. Effect of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery on brain activation in response to appetitive cues. Appetite 2009;52:851.
- Kwok Y, Choi K, Teixeira J, Dambkowski C, Elgethun K, Mullin A, Zulueta J, Puma LM, Conceicao E, Geliebter A, Ochner CN. Changes in Psychological Measurements Following Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery for Obesity. Obesity 2009;17:S284.
- Ochner CN, Pantazatos S, Conceicao E, Puma LM, Kwok Y, Carnell S, Teixeira J, Geliebter A. Changes in Brain Activation in Response to Appetitive Cues Following Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery. Obesity 2009;17:S75.
- Kwok Y, Hirsch J, Choi K, Dambkowski C, Zulueta J, Mullin A, Elgethun K, Conceicao E, Puma LM, Teixeira J, Gelibter A, Ochner CN. Changes in Desire-to-Eat High-Palatability Foods Following Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery for Obesity. Obesity 2009;17:S74.
- Carnell S, Ladell T, Pantazatos S, Ochner CN, Sharafi M, Hirsch J, Geliebter A. Lean women show greater brain activation in control areas and less activation in reward areas in respons to high energy-density food cues. Obesity 2010;18:S59.
- Ochner CN, Kim C, Dambkowski CL, Puma LM, Hsu CH, Cole BM, Teixeira J, Geliebter A. Effects of Presurgical Weight Cycling and Weight Suppression on Bariatric Surgery Outcome. Obesity 2010:18;S163.
- Atalayer D, Puma L, Hernandez D, McOuatt H, Ochner CN, Hashim S, Geliebter A. Gender Differences in Neural Responses to Food Cues in Obesity. Obesity 2011:19;S172.
- Puma L, Atalayer D, Hernandez D, McOuatt H, Pantazatos S, Ochner CN, Hashim S, Geliebter A. Responsivity to High-Palatable Food in Obese Binge and Non-Binge Eaters, in Fasted vs. Fed State, Using Functional MRI. Obesity 2011:19;S171.
- Ochner CN, Hutchins E, Stice E, Pantazatos SP, Geliebter A, Teixeira J, Hirsch J. Reductions in Reward-Related Neural Activation following Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Predict Reductions in Wanting, but Not Liking, of High-Calorie Foods. Obesity 2011:19;S50.
- Jochner M, Caruso E, Yeomans B, Afifi L, Teixeira J, Ochner CN. Effect of preoperative body mass index on weight loss outcome following bariatric surgery. Obesity 2011:19;S19.
- Afifi L, Pantazatos S, Hutchins E, Yeomans B, Caruso E, Geliebter A, Binler D, Jochner M, Hirsch J, Teixeira J, Ochner CN. Changes in neural responses to food cues following gastric bypass surgery in fasted vs. fed conditions. Obesity 2011:19;S20.
- Isaacson RS, Khan RD, Ochner, CN. Alzheimer’s Diet Modification: A Web-based Nutrition Tracking System For Outcomes Research and Patient Management. Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging. In press.
- Ochner CN, Barrios D, Lee C, Greer CE, Isaacson RS. Evidence on Diet Modification for Alzheimer’s disease and Mild Cognitive Impairment. Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging. In press.
2004 Recipient, Brooke Glen Behavioral Hospital Exemplary Contribution Award
2005 Recipient, Pennsylvania Psychological Foundation Education Award
2006 Recipient, University of Maryland Research Travel Award
2007 Recipient, Society for the Study of Ingestive Behavior New Investigator Travel Award
2007 Recipient, NIMH/AED New Investigator Fellowship Award
2007 Recipient, NIH/NIDDK Loan Repayment Program Award
2008 Recipient, NIH/NIDDK F32 National Research Service Award
2008 Recipient, NIH Trainee Participant Award for DSM-IV Eating Disorder Criteria Meeting
2008 Recipient, NIH Neuroimaging in Obesity Conference Travel Award
2008 Recipient, Columbia University CTSA Brain Imaging Core Pilot Grant Award
2008 Recipient, Columbia University CTSA Community Engagement Resource Pilot Grant Award
2009 Recipient, NY Obesity Nutrition Research Center Pilot & Feasibility Grant Award
2009 Recipient, NIH/OBSSR Trainee Participant Award for Summer Institute on the Design and Conduct of Randomized Clinical Trials Involving Behavioral Interventions
2009 Recipient, NIH/Columbia University CTSA K12 Career Development Award
2010 Accepted Nominee, Who’s Who in America
2010 Author, the Male Body Dissatisfaction Scale; original psychological measure translated into Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish and Turkish.
2010 Recipient, NY Obesity Nutrition Research Center Pilot & Feasibility Grant Award
2011 Recipient, The Obesity Society Research Travel Award
2012 Invited Member, Scientists Without Borders, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
2012 Best Paper Nominee, Science Unbound Foundation
2012 Selected Participant, NIH Early Career Reviewer Program
2013 Recipient, NIH/NICHD Loan Repayment Program Award.
Selected Invited Works (of 34 invited presentations, lectures and authorships)
2003 Invited Author, APA-approved continuing education program on Treating Medical Noncompliance, presented at Pennsylvania Psychological Association conference
2005 Invited Speaker, Talk on the Relationship between Calcium and Body Weight, presented at The University of Pennsylvania Weight and Eating Disorders Center
2006 Invited Speaker, Plenary session talk on Relationship between Calcium and Body Weight, presented at The Benjamin Franklin Lafayette Seminar, Frejus, France (limited to 50 most influential obesity researchers)
2008 Invited Speaker, Statistical Analyses for the Behavioral Sciences, presented at the Columbia University Medical Center and broadcast throughout all Columbia University affiliated hospitals.
2009 Invited Author, Scientific Program Highlights Plenary Session on the Effectiveness of Continuum as a Teaching Tool for Medical Students, presented at the American Acad of Neurology internat conference
2009 Invited Expert Panel Speaker, Plenary session panel presentation on Neural Changes associated with Obesity Surgery, presented at the Society for the Study of Ingestive Behavior international conference
2009 Invited Seminar Leader, Four-hour seminar on Statistical Analyses Using SPSS, presented at the Eating Disorder Research Society International Conference.
2010 Selected Debater, One of eight selected debaters on Conducting Clinical Trials, presented at the NIH/OBSSR Current Controversies in Clinical Trials Annual Meeting
2011 Invited Speaker, Talk on Neural Reward and ‘Food Addiction,’ presented at the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University
2011 Invited Speaker, Talk on Changes in Neural Responsivity following Obesity Surgery, presented at the 14th Annual Academic Retreat & Wu Lectureship at Columbia University
2012 Invited Speaker, Talk on Neural Changes Associated with Obesity Surgery, presented at the 2012 World Nutrition & Obesity Online Symposium, online.
1999-2000 Clinical Research Internship, National Institutes of Health, Mental Health Division, Bethesda, MD
2000-2001 Clinical Practicum Internship, University of Pennsylvania Center for Weight and Eating Disorders, Philadelphia, PA.
2002-2003 Clinical Practicum Internship, The Associates in Psychology, Philadelphia, PA.
2005-2006 Clinical Psychology Internship, University of Maryland College of Medicine/Baltimore VA Medical Center Consortium, Baltimore, MD
2006-2009 Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, New York Obesity Nutrition Research Center, St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY
2006-2009 Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Institute of Human Nutrition, Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, New York, NY
2003-2004 Instructor, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA
2004-2006 Adjunct Professor, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA
2006-2009 Post Doctoral Research Fellow, Columbia University Institute of Human Nutrition, NY
2009-2012 Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology, Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons
2011-present Associate Research Scientist, Oregon Research Institute
2012-present Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology, Department of Pediatrics, Mt. Sinai School of Medicine
2012-present Direct of Research Development and Administration, Adolescent Health Center, Department of Pediatrics, Mt. Sinai School of Medicine
2006-2009 Post Doctoral Research Fellow, New York Obesity Nutrition Research Center, Department of Medicine, St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital Center, NY
2010-present Research Associate, New York Obesity Nutrition Research Center, Department of Medicine, St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital Center, NY
Other Professional Activities
1996-1997 Research Assistant, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
1998-1999 Research Associate, University of Virginia Research Center, Charlottesville, VA
2002-2005 Behavioral Health Clinician, Hahnemann University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
2003 Psychological Testing Coordinator, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA
2003-2004 Psychological Testing Coordinator, Private Practice, Philadelphia, PA
2003-2005 Associate Therapist, Associates in Psychology, P.C., Philadelphia, PA
2004-2005 Assessment Counselor, Brooke Glen Behavioral Hospital, Fort Washington, PA
2004-2006 Grant Consultant, Silvan S. Tomkins Institute, Philadelphia, PA
2010-present Consultant, Eric Stice, PhD, Oregon Research Institute, Eugene, OR
2012-present Review Editor, Frontiers in Neurology
2005 Ad hoc co-reviewer, Obesity Research
2006 Ad hoc co-reviewer, Obesity
2007 Ad hoc reviewer, Journal of Nutrition
2008 Ad hoc reviewer, Journal of Abnormal Psychology
2009 Ad hoc reviewer, International Journal of Obesity
2010 Ad hoc reviewer, Journal of the American Medical Association
2012 Ad hoc reviewer, PLoS ONE
2012 Ad hoc reviewer, Physiology & Behavior
2010 External Reviewer, The Chief Scientist Office Experimental and Translational Medicine Research Committee, Scotland
2010 Reviewer, New York Obesity Nutrition Research Center Pilot & Feasibility Program
2011 Reviewer, Columbia University CTSA Brain Imaging Core
2012 Reviewer, Wellcome Trust Foundation
2012 Scientific Abstract Reviewer, Society for Behavioral Medicine, Biological Mechanisms in Health and Behavior Change Track
2004 Personality Theory, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2004 Computer Assisted Data Analyses II, Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2005 Eating Disorders and Obesity, Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania