Some Not So Fun Facts About Obesity:
- Today, the most commonly purchased fountain drink is 1 liter, which has 30 teaspoons full of sugar.
- It is now statistically normal to be overweight.
- Obesity costs the Unites States somewhere between $100 and $200 BILLION annually
- For 7 million years, we have been fighting starvation. In the last hundred years we succeeded in killing more people from too much than too little food.
- Worldwide, 2.8 million people die each year as a result of being overweight or obese.
- A child who is obese at age 11 has a 70% chance of being an obese adult.
- The average child spends more time per year watching television than attending school.
- One in three children born after the year 2000 will develop diabetes.
- Childhood obesity is strongly correlated with increased rates of premature death.
- Children today have a shorter life expectancy than their parents for the first time in 100 years.
Here’s another great one: we are the first generation not expected to live longer than our parents. Anybody have a guess as to why that might be?